Friday, June 8, 2012

My New Home, Uganda 1:


As my plane touched the ground in Entebbe, Uganda 5 days ago, apprehension, excitement and sadness filled my thoughts. I kept on remembering the first time I had been in Africa, as a representative of the United States of America as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Mali, West Africa. Then, I did not know what to expect; I was only excited. 5 days ago, as I exited the plane and took my first breath in Eastern Africa, my emotions of my departure from Mali overwhelmed me. I was happy to be starting a new adventure, yet overly miserable to be done with Mali. I kept telling myself this would be a new adventure, but I kept finding myself comparing everything to the 14 million west African nation that was presently being run into the ground by captain bozo – as a friend of mine called him. I drove through the countryside into Kampala and was overwhelmed. I wanted to be there, yes, but I also wanted to be in Mali, that’s all I wanted. Driving in the private hire, I told myself I had to make a new life for myself. I had to be happy, excited and open minded about this new journey in my life. I always told myself that life is full of choices; the choice to be happy, the choice to not be angry, the choice to live life to its fullest and never stop wondering what’s out there, but going to do what’s out there. 

So, as many of you know, I am interning for the organization BeadforLife – www.beadforlife.org. As an intern, I will be working in northern Uganda with their Shea Butter Program, helping with the nut buying season and then, during the off season, working with the community development program. I have been in the office for four days now and am having a blast! The people here are such beautiful, generous, caring people with smiles on their faces at all times of the day. I have to say, my first couple of days in Kampala have been pretty good, considering.  I am staying in a little bungalow, about a ten-minute walk from the office.  It is nice; 2 bedrooms, a kitchen, bathroom – WITH a toilet, and living area.

On another note, I JUST GOT A PUPPY! He is about 8 weeks old, white with brown spots and his name is Zuri – it is Kiswahili for good, and also a Russian/Slovenian name. He is still not potty trained so this morning and last night I was picking up poop and pee off the floor, but he will come up north with me. He has all of his shots and immunizations, so if I do want to bring him back to ameriki with me, it is possible. We took him to work today and he has been great, although a little scared. He is silly because he seems to not know who I am at work; I did just get him yesterday though.

Anyways, I think I am going to join the HHH – Hash House Harriers here in Kampala. Although I will not be here a lot of the time, I will go on runs with them whenever I am in Kampala, and maybe even make a couple of friends. I really only know people who work at the office here, so I am excited to get out and meet new people.  I know there is an international Hash in Tanzania sometime in 2012, so hopefully if I make friends there I can go to that. Other than that, I am doing well. Still adjusting to not having my PC girls here, but it is ok.

1 comment: